Monday, January 26, 2009

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Hey Friends! Well, it seems to be getting VERY cold outside, and with the possibility of an ice storm, I wanted to pass along a recipe I found last night (modified by me, of course. Those of you who know me, KNOW that I can't just make a recipe from a book. I have to make it my own!). Justin and I REALLY enjoyed this soup. It's healthy, delicious, and sure to warm you up. Enjoy!!




INGREDIENTS

1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoon dried oregano
3 teaspoons of cumin
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (32 ounce) box chicken broth
1 (11 ounce) can of corn
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and shredded (I boiled mine to save time)
crushed tortilla chips (I like Tostitos Flour Tortilla chips)
sliced avocado
shredded Monterey Jack cheese
chopped green onions
sour cream

DIRECTIONS
In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in chili powder, oregano, tomatoes, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
Stir in corn, chiles, beans, cilantro, and chicken. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, and top with sour cream, crushed tortilla chips, avocado slices, cheese, and chopped green onion.

Photo By: Allrecipes

1 comment:

Jamie said...

that sounds yummy. I'm going to try it sometime. I'll let ya know how mine turns out. This diet Shawnn & I are we eat veggie burgers & steamed veggies. BUT we do get a cheat day once a week, so I'm going to try this on one of those days.